Tips To Keep Kids Active in Cold Winter Months
All children need physical activity even during the season of low temperatures, nasty weather and fewer hours of natural light. It is too easy to slip into some comfy slippers, cover up with a blanket and plug in all day.
Here are some fun ideas to keep you and your kids moving this winter:
1. Don't be afraid to still go outdoors! As long as you are properly prepared, you can still enjoy nature in all its winter beauty.
- Wear warm clothes, gloves, hats and mittens
- Bring some hot cocoa or cider to keep you toasty
- Invite friends to help keep your children busy
- Play some high energy games to get the blood pumping: football, tag, sledding, snowball fights or build a snowman
- Go ice skating or sledding! There is nothing more exhausting then walking back up enormous hills through the snow!
2. Get physical indoors! Just because you are inside doesn't mean you cannot keep active.
- Build an obstacle course and time each other
- Blow up a bunch of balloons and keep them from touching the ground
- Put on an exercise video and invite the kids to join
- Make a temporary hopscotch on the kitchen floor with painters tape
- Musical chairs
- Hula hoop contest
3. Get out of the house for some indoor fun! As an added bonus, parents don't have to do any of the clean up!
- Roller skating
- Indoor playground
- Local recreation center
- Indoor swimming pool
- Laser tag
- Trampoline park
- Inflatable playspace